Historic Fort Snelling

National Historic Landmark

Mailing Address:
200 Tower Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55111
Directions

Hours

Closed for the season except for special events.
 
Memorial Day Weekend-Labor Day:
Tue-Sat 10 am-5 pm
Sun Noon-5 pm
 
Open Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day, 10 am-5 pm
 
Sept-Oct:
Sat Only 10 am-5 pm

 

Admission

Get Tickets
  • $12 adults
  • $10 seniors and college students w/ID
  • $10 veterans and active military
  • $6 children ages 5-17
  • Free for children age 4 and under and MNHS members
  • Museums on Us: One free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch card holders the first full weekend of every month. Bring your card and picture ID.
  • Free parking

 

Contact

612-726-1171

Connect with Historic Fort Snelling

Historic Fort Snelling on Twitter Historic Fort Snelling on Facebook Minnesota History Center on Flickr

2017 Dec 13

Weather Forecast
 

Half-Moon Battery

Half-Moon Battery

To help guard the fort, this structure was built directly above the junction of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers.

History

The battery sat 100 feet above the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers, offering a spectacular view of the rivers’ valleys and traffic. It may have been the platform for a 24-pounder howitzer listed on an early inventory. To make way for the battery in 1820, builders removed a tree (during Snelling’s absence and against his orders), revealing a bottle containing a copy of Zebulon Pike’s 1805 treaty purchasing the military reservation. By the late 1830s, a suspended walkway connected the battery with the nearby Commanding Officer’s Quarters. Shortly after the Civil War, a conical roof was added to the structure and its use was listed as a bandstand. Like many other of the fort’s buildings, the Half-Moon Battery was demolished around 1879.

Archaeology

Shown on the fort’s earliest map as the Zebulon Blockhouse with a pentagonal foundation, the structure was apparently changed in shape during construction. Below the semi-circular foundation, archaeologists found earlier foundation blocks arranged in a pentagon.

Back to map