Historic Fort Snelling

National Historic Landmark

Mailing Address:
200 Tower Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55111
Directions

Hours

Closed for the season except for special events.
 
Memorial Day Weekend-Labor Day:
Tue-Sat 10 am-5 pm
Sun Noon-5 pm
 
Open Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day, 10 am-5 pm
 
Sept-Oct:
Sat Only 10 am-5 pm

 

Admission

Get Tickets
  • $12 adults
  • $10 seniors and college students w/ID
  • $10 veterans and active military
  • $6 children ages 5-17
  • Free for children age 4 and under and MNHS members
  • Museums on Us: One free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch card holders the first full weekend of every month. Bring your card and picture ID.
  • Free parking

 

Contact

612-726-1171

Connect with Historic Fort Snelling

Historic Fort Snelling on Twitter Historic Fort Snelling on Facebook Minnesota History Center on Flickr

2017 Dec 13

Weather Forecast
 

Commissary

The Commissary was a four-storied structure used to house the fort's supplies. Take a walk through the top floor of the building and see examples of supplies needed by the fort.

History

The most important building on the frontier post, this warehouse held essential food and equipment for the soldiers. These supplies traveled up the Mississippi to the fort each spring, were unloaded at the landing below the fort and hauled up the steep landing road for storage. A winch carried the barrels of supplies to the four floors of the commissary, which, according to Colonel Snelling, could hold four years' worth of supplies. The east end of the building contained quartermaster goods including clothing, tools and equipment. The larger west end housed barrels of flour, salt pork, vinegar, whiskey and beans to feed the soldiers. The far west end of the top floor was an office for the post quartermaster and commissary officers and their clerks.

Reconstruction

The lower floors soon proved too damp for the storage of perishables. They were not reconstructed or furnished when the Minnesota Historical Society rebuilt the Commissary. The original building was demolished in 1895. The site was a major archaeological project prior to reconstruction. Today, exact replicas of uniforms, equipment and food storage barrels fill the top floor of the Commissary.

Back to map