Historic Fort Snelling

National Historic Landmark

Mailing Address:
200 Tower Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55111
Directions

Hours

Closed for the season except for special events.
 
Memorial Day Weekend-Labor Day:
Tue-Sat 10 am-5 pm
Sun Noon-5 pm
 
Open Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day, 10 am-5 pm
 
Sept-Oct:
Sat Only 10 am-5 pm

 

Admission

Get Tickets
  • $12 adults
  • $10 seniors and college students w/ID
  • $10 veterans and active military
  • $6 children ages 5-17
  • Free for children age 4 and under and MNHS members
  • Museums on Us: One free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch card holders the first full weekend of every month. Bring your card and picture ID.
  • Free parking

 

Contact

612-726-1171

Connect with Historic Fort Snelling

Historic Fort Snelling on Twitter Historic Fort Snelling on Facebook Minnesota History Center on Flickr

2017 Nov 23

Weather Forecast
 

Commanding Officers' Quarters

Commanding Officers' Quarters

One of four original fort buildings. Learn about the people who lived in Minnesota’s oldest standing private home. See food prepared over the hearth in the basement kitchen.

History

Designed by Colonel Snelling and architecturally similar to Georgian houses of New York's Hudson Valley, this elegant quarters was the home of the post commanders and staff officers until 1946. The Commanding Officers' Quarters is probably the oldest standing residence in Minnesota, though it was restored and altered several times since the 1820s. A front porch was added by the 1840s and a Mansard-style roof in the 1870s. Finally, in 1903 like the Officers' Quarters, it was enlarged with a second story, arched porch, stucco and red slate roof of the Spanish-mission style. The Commanding Officers' Quarters was the scene of receptions and grand balls, the home of large and vibrant families, and a welcome haven for travelers. Here regimental business was conducted in the basement headquarters, government policy for a vast region was administered and formal dinners were prepared in the spacious kitchen.

Archaeology

Archaeologists examined the commanding officers' quarters in 1975, prior to restoration. Under the basement floor, they found remnants of hand-made brick laid in a herringbone pattern and the cold storage pit which originally held foodstuffs. Behind a wall were the pintles for the fireplace crane. A piece of a cornerstone was also uncovered, which with the complete text found in an 1862 newspaper article, allowed an accurate replica to be made.

Back to map