Annual Minnesota Civil War Symposium
The annual Minnesota Civil War Symposium is sponsored by the Twin Cities, Rochester, Cannon Valley, St. Croix Valley, Central Minnesota, and Hiawatha Valley Civil War Roundtables in partnership with the Minnesota Historical Society and Minnesota Civil War Commemorative Task Force.
Check back soon for information about the 2015 Symposium.
Registration questions: firstname.lastname@example.org / Program questions: email@example.com
World War II Round Table
The Dr. Harold C. Deutsch WWII History Round Table meets monthly from Sept.-May at the Fort Snelling History Center. Authors, noted historians, and WWII veterans come together to discuss the history of the conflict and share the stories of those who lived through it. The Roundtable also organizes Spring trips to tour historic sites and battlefields of the European theater.
Programs start at 7 pm.
$5.00 admission is requested to help defray costs. Students are FREE.
2013-2014 schedule of programs include:
- Sept. 12 - The Battle of Britain: A True Mission Impossible. Dr. Robin Higham, RAF veteran and author of Unflinching Zeal, and Dr. Roy Heidicker, historian of the Eagle Squadron, and others will present the aerial defense of England against the Luftwaffe in 1940.
- Oct. 10 - The Bombing Campaign in the Pacific. Barrett Tillman, author of Whirlwind, and veterans of the B-29s will discuss the bombing of targets in the Pacific and Japan.
- Oct. 24 - The 2nd Rangers: Pont d'Hoc and Beyond. Patrick O'Donnell, author of Dog Comapny, will discuss the achievements of "D" Company as part of the 2nd Ranger Battalion.
- Nov. 14 - The Dr. Harold C. Deutsch Lecture. David Kahn, author of Codebreakers and Seizing Enigma, will present the amazing achievement of cracking the German war codes.
- Dec. 12 - The Attack of December 7, 1941: Surprise or Blunder. Capt (R) Thomas Kimmel, John Lambert, author of Defenseless, Jim Johns, and survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor will discuss some of the controversial issues around the Japanese attack.
- Jan. 9 - The War on the Eastern Front: Germany and Russia. Dennis Showalter, author of Hitler's Panzers, along with veterans of the Eastern Front will discuss the much overlooked war in eastern Europe.
- Feb. 13 - Senior Leaders of WWII: Insights Into Their Personalities. Jonathan Jordan, author of Brothers, Rivals, Victors, will discuss the officers that won the war, and veterans will describe their encounters with these influential figures.
- March 13 - Operation Cobra: Breakout From Normandy. Jim Carafano, author of After D-Day, along with combat veterans, will discuss the bold attack that cut the German defenses and encircled them at Falaise.
- March 27 - The War in China: The Overlooked Struggle in Asia. Al Lathrop, historian on CBI Theater, Ted Farmer, historian of China, John McLaughlin, author of Wedemeyer, along with veterans of the theater will discuss the harsh conditions and bitter fighting in China.
- April 10 - The Battle for Rabaul: The Japanese Pearl Harbor. Bruce Gamble, author of the three-volume WWII History of Rabaul, and combat veterans of the campaign will discuss the attack on the stronghold.
- May 8 - Omaha Beach: The Deadliest Fighting on D-Day. John McManus, author of the upcoming book The Dead and Those About to Die, and combat veterans will discuss the event on its 70th anniversary.
2014 Battlefield Tour: Normandy (May 10-22)
Paris, LaRoche Guyon, American and British landing beaches, airborne landing sites, Cobra battles, Brittany Campaign, Falaise, Memorial Day at the Normandy Cemetery
For more information visit the Dr. Harold C. Deutsch World War II History Round Table website or call 612-867-5144
The Dr. Harold C. Deutsch WW2 History Round Table
c/o Colonel Don Patton (Retired - U.S. Army)
7220 Fleetwood Drive
Edina, MN 55439