Reservations are required for field trips. We recommend you contact us well in advance if you have specific dates you would like for your visit.
School Tour Season
Historic Fort Snelling is open for reserved field trips from April - early November.
Hours of Operation
Tours are scheduled between 9 am and 5 pm. Times may be adjusted to meet school needs.
- $6.00 per student/adult in educational groups
- $60 minimum charge (10 student min.) for school tour and program
- One free chaperone per 10 students
- Teachers and school/district staff (including bus drivers) FREE
- Payment or arrangement for payment may be made on the day of the tour
- Groups visiting Historic Fort Snelling and the Sibley House Historic Site on the same day receive a discount ($9 per student/adult).
Tours cancelled less than 2 business days in advance will be billed for 50% of the total tour fee based on the group size(s).
- Groups of all sizes are welcome. Larger groups can be subdivided into smaller classroom-size groups.
- Tours may include the option of watching the short film Where the Waters Meet: Stories of Fort Snelling in the Visitor Center auditorium.
- Groups will begin their tour at the fort's Front Gate every ten minutes and spend approximately 90 minutes outdoors touring the site. Please dress for the weather. For a preview of our school program, please visit Field Trip Highlights.
- Time required to complete the program increases proportionately with the number of classes scheduled.
Fort Snelling has several outdoor areas for groups to eat lunch, including a large picnic area on the bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. In inclement weather, groups may eat inside on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups are asked to place their trash in the appropriate receptacles.
Directions to Historic Fort Snelling.
- The historic site is accessible to visitors with limited mobility, but some buildings and areas that are not easily accessible to individuals in wheelchairs or strollers. There are gravel paths inside the fort.
- The fort is a 5-minute walk from the Visitors Center.
- Please call ahead to ask questions about access for individuals with limited mobility.
- Please call ahead for sign-language interpreters.